- 1 small pineapple
- 1 bunch organic cilantro
- 1 small organic red onion
- 1 organic jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 organic red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup whey*
- 1/2 cup filtered water
Dice pineapple, chop cilantro and grate ginger.
Mix together in a medium bowl and scoop into a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar.
Press down lightly with a wooden pounder (or other non-metal object). You want your chutney at least one inch below the top of the jar.
Mix lime juice, salt and whey with water and pour into jar.
Add more filtered water, if necessary, to cover the pineapple mixture.
Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for two days before transferring to refrigerator.
- * To make whey, simply strain regular plain yogurt (not Greek style) in a fine mesh strainer (or coffee filter) allowing the whey to drip into a bowl until you have 1/2 cup.
- Can be enjoyed immediately or consumed within two months.
- This recipe makes approximately 4 cups of chutney, but if you buy a large pineapple and large onion (and a little extra lime juice) you can make enough to have extra to munch without fermenting! Just omit the whey and water, lightly salt and squeeze lime juice over the top. Eat it with chips as a fresh salsa, or straight out of the bowl with a spoon like I do! It’s delicious, even without fermenting…but wait two days and you’ll enjoy the added benefits of probiotics in each bite!
Serving: 2Tablespoons | Calories: 11kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.8g | Protein: 0.2g | Sodium: 61mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 2g