The Best Snack in the World!
We’ve been recipe testing a bit lately (OK, a LOT lately), and today we came up with our newest, most very favorite snack in all the world! OK, maybe not the whole world, but when you’re following a hormone balancing and gut healing protocol, this snack blows all others out of the water.
It’s no secret our family loves sushi. With a husband who grew up in Hawaii, we spent our early married years frequenting sushi restaurant after sushi restaurant in Southern California. Now that we’ve moved north, we’re rather land-locked and sushi joints are fewer and farther between. Which forced us to source our own ingredients and get creative at home.
Successful in our endeavors, I sought out a way to make my favorite treat while focusing on balancing hormones by eating a raw, plant-based diet.
Don’t fear, friends…this recipe is adaptable for those who want the rice, tuna, salmon and other sushi goodies!
Veggie Sushi Recipe
- Organic Nori Sheets
- Carrot, grated
- Sweet Potato, grated
- Cauliflower (optional “rice”)
- Cucumber, sliced
- Zucchini, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Green onion
For the Pickled Ginger
- Ginger, 1 knob
- 2 Tbs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Raw Honey
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Assembly Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- This recipe is best served with raw pickled ginger. 12-24 hours before serving, peel ginger, then slice with a carrot peeler or mandolin and marinate in a mixture of vinegar, lemon juice and raw honey. (Ginger will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.)
- Grate carrots and sweet potatoes and mix together in a bowl. This will be your “rice” for your veggie roll. (Alternatively, you could pulse some cauliflower in a food processor and use this as your “rice”.)
- Prep all other veggies by slicing into long slender pieces.
- Lay out a sheet of Nori on a flat surface (or sushi mat) and cover two thirds with the grated carrot/sweet potato mixture.
- Spread a thin line of the other veggies down one side of the “rice” mixture, as though you were making actual sushi.
- Using your fingertips, dip them into a bowl of water and moisten the exposed end of the Nori. This will help the roll seal once rolled up.
- Carefully roll your sushi and seal the edge.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut your roll into 1-2 inch pieces.
This recipe is featured in our 14-Day Hormone Balancing and Gut Restoring Meal Plan. It’s completely raw and plant-based and an incredible treat for snack, lunch or dinner! For more information about our meal plan, read this post to find out how you can jump-start your healing today!