These quick and easy sourdough muffins are the perfect solution to using up excess starter. There are countless flavor variations, which will be your favorite?
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Add sourdough starter, egg, vanilla, salt and sugar to mixing bowl and beat on low until combined.
- Add in mix-ins (unless otherwise noted below).
- Melt coconut oil on stove and add to bowl, mixing on low until combined.
- Add baking soda and mix on low until batter begins to bubble up and grow in size (this is the magic of sourdough starter and baking soda!).
- Gently stir in remaining mix-ins, line muffin pan with paper cups and add appx. 1/4 cup batter to each muffin cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
- The above ingredients are for the base recipe, choose your muffin flavor from the options below, incorporating the added ingredients. This recipe makes one dozen muffins.
- Blueberry Muffins: Add 1/2 tsp. almond extract at step 2, and 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries at step 5.
- Carrot Cake Muffins: Add 1/2 cup grated carrots at step 2, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp lemon zest at step 5.
- Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder at step 2, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips at step 5. Use the full 1/2 cup coconut sugar to offset the bitterness of the cocoa powder.
- Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins: Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips at step 5. Cube 4 tablespoons cream cheese and place a couple cubes on top before baking. Make chocolate-chocolate cheesecake muffins by adding 1/4 cup cocoa powder during step 1.
- Lemon Poppy-seed Muffins: Add 1 Tbs poppy-seeds, 2 tsp. almond extract, 1 tsp lemon zest or 5 drops lemon essential oil at step 2.
- Coconut Muffins: Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut at step 5, and sprinkle shredded coconut on top before baking.
- Pumpkin Pie Muffins: Add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice at step 2.
- Banana Nut Muffins: Add 1/2 cup mashed, very ripe banana and 1 tsp. cinnamon at step 2, and 1/4 cup crushed walnuts, pecans or slivered almonds at step 5.
- Zucchini Muffins: Add 1 tsp cinnamon at step 2 and 1/2 cup grated zucchini at step 5.
- Apple, Carrot, Zucchini Muffins: Add 1 tsp cinnamon at step 2, grate 1/4 cup apple, 1/4 cup carrot, and 1/4 cup zucchini and squeeze out as much moisture as possible, allowing to strain for 5-10 minutes. Once you have squeezed out as much liquid as possible, add during step 5.
- Cinnamon Raisin Muffins: Add 2 tsp cinnamon at step 2 and 1/2 cup raisins at step 5.