A gluten-free alternative to your favorite sourdough recipes.
- In a large jar, whisk together brown rice flour, white rice flour and sweet rice flour. This is the flour mix you’ll be using to feed your starter.
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup rice flour blend until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl clean, cover with a plate, leaving about a 1/2 inch crack for air circulation, and place in a draft free warm-ish place. The top of the fridge is a good spot.
- Every 12 hours, or so, feed your starter with another 1/2 cup of the flour mix and 1/2 cup water.*
- Repeat Step 2 for 4-6 days.**
- My starter usually starts to bubble after three days, and fully ferments by day four. This could take longer depending on your environment, so I suggest you stick with it for six days before trying again. I start to get nervous by day three, and I am so glad I have waited “just one more day”!
- You can keep your starter alive by continuing to feed and replenish as you use it for baking, but after I figured out how simple it is, I just start from scratch again after using up all my starter.
- * I have read feeding starter every 12 hours is critical and needs to be exact, but honestly, I varied everywhere from 9-14 hours, and even forgot a feeding one day! If your starter gets liquid on top, this is called “hooch” and it’s an indication your starter isn’t being fed often enough. Simply stir in, or pour off the hooch and feed your starter immediately. Stirring the hooch back into your starter will give more of a “sour” flavor which some find pleasant.
- ** Make sure to scrape the sides of your bowl clean, and keep that plate cracked for air circulation. I learned the importance of this the hard way. Allowing the starter to coat the sides of your bowl leaves it weak and prone to fuzzy mold growth. Totally gross, and a bummer to have to toss and start again!
- Serving Size: N/A
- Calories: N/A
- Sugar: N/A
- Sodium: N/A
- Fat: N/A
- Saturated Fat: N/A
- Unsaturated Fat: N/A
- Trans Fat: N/A
- Carbohydrates: N/A
- Fiber: N/A
- Protein: N/A
- Cholesterol: N/A