Sourdough flatbread is a great alternative to sandwich bread. This simple recipe can be used for wraps, tacos, burritos or torn and used to dip with.
- Mix together sourdough starter, flour, water, coconut oil and salt in a stand mixer using a dough hook. Allow to mix for 5 minutes, cover and let sit for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Punch dough down and divide into 8 pieces, rolling each section into a small ball, place back into bowl and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Take one ball at a time and flatten with the palm of your hand on your counter top. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 6-9 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Carefully lift dough and place into a hot cast iron skillet and cook for 30 seconds, flip over, cook for 30 seconds, flip again and cook for a final 30 seconds. Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly. Eat immediately or allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container and use within a few days.
- This recipe does require an 8 hour soak time, however, if you’d like to skip the soak time, use sprouted flour.
- Otherwise, our trick is to mix together the ingredients the night before, the next morning your dough will be ready for step 2.
- This recipe makes 8 wraps and can easily be doubled.
- These wraps are delicious filled with this Summer Salad. If you have any wraps left over after dinner, heat it up, melt a little butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar! Homemade “healthy” elephant ears! OH JOY!
- Serving Size: 1 flatbread
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 292mg
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 35.8g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg