So tender and crispy, packed with flavor…these will be the best tacos you’ve ever had!
For the tongue:
- 1 3-4 lb grass-fed beef tongue
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, peeled and crushed (yes, the whole darn thing!)
- 1 Tbs. black peppercorns
- 2 Tbs. sea salt
- Avocado oil (for frying)
For the Tacos
For the Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 lb tomatillos, peeled.
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 fist full of cilantro (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded (optional)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Fill a large stockpot 1/2-2/3 full with water. Add tongue, onions, crushed garlic, peppercorns and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 3 hours until tender.
- Using tongs, carefully remove tongue from water and allow to cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes (until it’s cool enough to handle).
- Using a sharp knife, remove the outer layer of the tongue (the part with the taste buds…I know, gross!).
- Cut tongue into 1/4 inch slices. Heat avocado oil in a frying pan and sear sliced tongue on each side (about 1 minute per side) until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Chop up seared pieces of meat and serve up with desired toppings in lightly fried corn tortillas.
- Peel tomatillos and add to a small pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about five minutes, or until cooked through.
- Drain water and place tomatillos into a blender, add onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalepeno pepper (with or without seeds, the heat is in the seeds), and 1 tsp salt.
- Blend until smooth and adjust seasoning as needed according to preference.
- Serving Size: 2 oz. (or 1/16th of recipe)
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Fat: 25.3g
- Saturated Fat: 9.2g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 21.9g
- Cholesterol: 150mg