Love being outdoors but hate getting bit by bugs? Here’s a non-toxic, natural homemade alternative to those harmful store-bought bug repellents. The bonus is this DIY version works as well as those containing DEET!
- Mix all ingredients together in a small spray bottle.
- Shake bottle well before each application (and a few extra shakes between applications if spraying more than one person).
- Apply to exposed skin as well as clothes, shoes, hats and backpacks. Be careful to avoid contact with eyes.
- When packing this bug spray for a hike, toss it in your bag in a sealed zip-top bag to avoid leaks/spills.
- If you won’t be hiking with this spray, these glass spray bottles are recommended.
- I always prefer glass when using essential oils, but because our kiddos pack their own bug spray in their hiking backpacks, we use these plastic spray bottles to avoid broken glass.
- When spraying the face, we recommend spraying a little onto your hands and rubbing it onto your face to avoid accidental spraying in the eyes.
- Our family chooses to use Plant Therapy for their high quality, pure, therapeutic grade essential oils offered at affordable prices. For $10 off your first order, click through any of our Plant Therapy links and sign up for their newsletter. They’ll gift you $10 off of your first purchase. Plus shipping is always free, no matter how small or large your purchase.
- Serving Size: N/A
- Calories: N/A
- Sugar: N/A
- Sodium: N/A
- Fat: N/A
- Saturated Fat: N/A
- Unsaturated Fat: N/A
- Trans Fat: N/A
- Carbohydrates: N/A
- Fiber: N/A
- Protein: N/A
- Cholesterol: N/A