Natural Allergy Relief
Ditch those OTC meds and find natural relief for allergies with essential oils.
I absolutely LOVE the changing seasons. Living in the lush, green Pacific Northwest all my life, I’ve been blessed with the best: All four seasons.
Autumn is my favorite time of year but I also enjoy Spring here in the Seattle area – yes, even with all the rain coming down on our “Emerald City”! I get all happy inside when I step outside and see the bright green things coming up around me in the Springtime.
My husband, not so much! For him, Spring brings scratchy throats, itchy/watery eyes, sneezing (a bazillion times a day!), stuffiness, and runny nose. His allergy symptoms interfered with his everyday life, holding him hostage inside and unable to enjoy his hiking, biking and beloved Mariners baseball games…until we learned about essential oils.
Several years ago, when I began researching and studying all-things-aromatherapy, one of the very first things I tried oils for (right after digestive support) was how to help the body using combinations of pure essential oils to help stay ahead of the many allergy symptoms my husband was suffering with on a daily basis. I soon learned that by simply inhaling, applying topically or even ingesting (as needed, following supplement guidelines) a few essentials oils several times daily, we can support the body when pollen is high and allergic rhinitis (the clinical term for seasonal allergies) takes hold. When this happens, our immune system goes to work fighting off the “attack” of the foreign invaders – pollen or other allergens. Unfortunately, it leaves our immune systems overloaded and unable to fight off the true ‘bad guys’ when they show up. This often leads to the dreaded “summer cold”.
Top 5 Essential Oils to use for Seasonal Allergies:
- Roman Chamomile – (Chamaemelum nobile): antispasmodic, menstrual cramps, sedative, relieves anxiety/stress, insomnia, great for children (comforting, soothing), anti-inflammatory. The anti-inflammatory properties in this oil make it a great, soothing choice.
- Peppermint – (Mentha x piperita): relieves nausea, analgesic for muscular aches and pains, relieves/reduces migraines, energizing, antispasmodic, decongestant, expectorant. Both the decongestant and expectorant help alleviate the stuffiness and sinus pressure of allergies.
- My personal recommendation is highly cautionary and I do NOT use Peppermint topically on children under 2 years of age unless in high dilution of 1 drop of essential oil to 10ml or 2 teaspoons carrier oil. I will usually choose another oil to diffuse or apply topically that is gentler to their tiny respiratory system.
- Tea Tree or Melaleuca – (Melaleuca alternifolia): antimicrobial, supports/enhances immune system, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral. The strong immune supporting and antiviral properties in this oil are very beneficial during the spring & summer months.
- Lemon – (Citrus limon): stimulating, calming, antihistamine, carminative, anti-infection, astringent, detoxifying, antiseptic, disinfectant, sleep inducing, and antifungal. The astringent properties of lemon assist in drying up excess mucous and runny nose & post nasal drip.
- Lavender – (Lavandula angustifolia): anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. It also has antispasmodic, analgesic, detoxifying, hypotensive, and sedative effects. This is a powerful natural antihistamine and antispasmodic properties aids in relieving many of the allergic reactions such as itchy eyes, ears, and even sneezing!
Seasonal Allergy Relief Remedies
All essential oils are linked above and can be found at Plant Therapy for very little dent to your wallet.
Essential Oil Allergy Inhaler Recipe:
Drop oils onto the cotton wick inside the inhaler, cap tightly and use as needed throughout the day! A very good choice to use on the go. I find that I can go around 10-14 days before needing to refill. Depending on how often you are opening and closing the cap, you may need to refill more often.
Allergy Relief Diffuser Blend:
Combine with water in diffuser for hours of relief with the added benefits of purifying and helping remove pollen from the air as well!
- This should be a gentle enough blend to diffuse in the same area as infants-never place the diffuser directly next to the baby. Essential oil diffusers generally cover 300+ square feet about the same size as a smaller bedroom. Keeping the diffuser several feet away as a general rule and always having a visual of while using any essential oil is always a good safety practice.
Soothing Sinus Steam Cup:
Using a large coffee mug, place hot (not boiling), just steaming water into the mug. Place drops of essential oil into the water and quickly cover your head and the steaming cup with a large towel while you inhale deeply for about 10 minutes. Keep your eyes closed while enjoying the beneficial steam. Repeat every 3-6 hours as needed for relief.