ssential oils have become a mainstay in our home. No longer do we reach for the Advil when a headache strikes, but rather a roller-ball of lemongrass, peppermint and lavender. For tight achy muscles our go-to is a blend of wintergreen, camphor and pine. To keep the buggies away we mix up this fantastic mosquito repellent (studied to be as effective as DEET!) and spritz.
We used to have a “product” for all these needs. Now, we have a natural, safer alternative…and that makes this mama do the happy dance!
Finding your groove with essential oils takes time and patience. Each of our bodies have different chemical makeups. And we all respond differently to essential oils. Much like one may prefer Advil to Tylenol or Alieve, my “headache blend” for a tension headache may not work for yours.
This is where essential oil books, guides and even apps can come in very handy while getting your footing. When a headache strikes I don’t want to be guessing at what I should do. I want to have something mixed up and ready to go; a “game-plan” if you will, so I don’t have to be searching frantically before finding my relief.
Healthy Change #18 is to gather essential oil “helps” to keep you on track with using those oils. Pick one, pick them all…but do think about which option might work best for you, one that you’ll actually utilize, not one that will sit on the shelf collecting dust! (Guilty as charged!)
- Essential Oil Usage Guide A-Z: This is a small, 27 page booklet listing various ailments and essential oils to treat them. It’s the perfect size to toss in your purse and great when you’re looking for oils to treat specific ailments (ie: “food poisoning”, “dizziness”, “fatigue”, etc.). This book offers suggested application methods as well.
- Get an app: This app, available through iTunes, works with your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. It allows you to search by ailment of over 700 different health topics as well as information on essential oil singles and application methods.
- Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: If you’re old school and prefer the feel of a sturdy book in your hands then this is the book for you. It contains in depth information on oils and their uses, has over 600 easy-to-follow recipes and is easy to read and understand. There is a caveat with this book…it doesn’t list possible risks/dangers of essential oils, such as oils that are phototoxic (make one more susceptible to sunburn if applied before sun exposure), or oils that are unsafe to use during pregnancy. I’m not one to use oils on my pets, but I’ve read varying opinions about the safety of oils and pets, so my recommendation would be to seek further advice on EOs and pets.
- Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Healthcare Practitioners: If you’re at all concerned about the safety of essential oils, or perhaps the possible interference with essential oils and medications, then this is your guide. It’s the priciest of them all, but a product worth every penny if it provides the confidence and ability to use essential oils safely in combination with other medications. This book includes a full break down of constituents for each essential oil including there hazards and risks with recommended doses and dilution ratios.
Bottom line? If you’re committed to using essential oils for their various health benefits and healing properties, then I strongly urge you to gather a few supplies that will help you on your journey.
- There are countless essential oils being sold in stores and websites all over the place. Please know your sources before buying oils. Be sure they are 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oils and that each individual batch has been tested with reports available to the consumer.
- Our family chooses to use Plant Therapy for their high quality, pure, therapeutic grade essential oils offered at affordable prices. For $10 off your first order, click through our Plant Therapy link in the sidebar and use promo code: signup10. This is an affiliate link, which means you get to enjoy the same great low prices for quality oils, and we’ll get a little kick-back to help keep food in the fridge…thanks! As always, Plant Therapy offers free-shipping and returns on all orders (no minimum purchase required).