Sweet potato hash is a delicious meal that’s simple, yet impressive enough for company. Fix it up at home, or grill it up in a cast iron skillet over a campfire. We prefer the latter!
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1-2 large russet potatoes, cubed (or more sweet potatoes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 Tbs avocado oil, divided
- 1 organic bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2-4 organic sausages, sliced (uncured, organic hot dogs work well, too)
- Fresh chives or green onions for garnish
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cube and chop all potatoes, onions and bell peppers (if using), toss into a zip top bag, add enough avocado oil to the bag to coat all veggies, zip bag closed and shake.
- Arrange onto a sheet pan and bake at 425 F for approximately 40-50 mins, stirring half way through.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or other large pan) and add 1 Tablespoon avocado oil. Add sliced sausage and cook until browned.
- Add potato/onion mixture to pan and heat through.
- Garnish with chopped chives or green onions (a pair of scissors does this job nicely when in the bush).
- If making ahead of time for camping, allow mixture to cool and store in a zip top bag in the refrigerator (or cooler) until ready to reheat.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 444
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Sodium: 385mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 72.7g
- Fiber: 11.4g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 25mg