Simple homemade sour cream and cream cheese recipe with just three ingredients. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
- Skim 4 cups cream from fresh, cold raw milk and add to half gallon jar.
- Add 4 cups fresh, cold raw milk to jar.
- Stir in one packet mesophillic starter culture, continue to stir gently for 10 seconds with a non-metallic spoon.
- Cover jar with lid and let sit at room temperature for 12-18 hours (after 18 hours I think the sour cream gets a little too sour).
- After 12-18 hours, gently skim cream into a bowl or jar and refrigerate. If it seems a little runny, you can allow it to continue to culture, but it will thicken slightly more once chilled.
- Allow the milk to set for 12-24 additional hours (for a total of 24-44 hours).
- You should start to see curds and whey, a clear separation of milk solids and yellowish-green liquid. Gently pour curds and whey into a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and place in the refrigerator to strain. Allow whey to strain out for 6-12 hours, or until desired consistency/thickness is reached (I have allowed it to strain for an entire 24 more hours for a nice thick cream cheese, it’s pretty hard to mess up!).
- For a smoother cream cheese, allow as much whey to drip out as possible, then pulse the cream cheese a few times in a food processor, or place in the bowl of a stand mixer and, using the whisk attachment, whip until smooth and fluffy (see flavoring options below).
Flavored Cream Cheese Options:
- PLAIN – Add salt, to taste, and use as you would regular cream cheese.
- HERB FLAVORED – Add ranch seasoning (or other favorite herbs & spices) for a healthy dip for veggies, or a spread for crackers.
- FRUIT FLAVORED – Blend in fresh berries and a little sweetener for a healthier frosting, a dip for fresh fruit or a spread for bagels and toast.