ow many of you tried a few of the Frankincense tips I shared in the last Essential Oil Basics post? Well, if you missed it, go back and read it. You’ll learn why it’s known as the “King of Oils” and part of my top essential oils to have at home.
When an essential oil can help with infant colic AND new momma anxiety, it’s a must have! Roman Chamomile can do just that and much, much more. Most of us are familiar with RC (Roman Chamomile) as that calming herb that we’ve enjoyed in a cup of tea before bedtime. The sweet, floral aroma and strength of the essential oil is much more powerful with a wide variety of therapeutic uses.
My first experience using RC was to help with sleep issues. I had tried a few other essential oils (Lavender and Cedarwood) but I just wasn’t having the result I wanted. I used just a drop or two and applied it to my temples, neck and wrists while inhaling the aroma deeply from my cupped hands several times. It was HEAVENLY! I started yawning almost immediately and it was lights out soon after. I was so happy to have finally found something natural to use to support healthy sleep. Sleep is so important to our overall health and wellness and if you struggle, seriously consider adding Roman Chamomile to your essential oil tool kit!
Roman Chamomile Essential Oil (Anthemis nobilis / Chamaemelum nobile)
- Major Properties: antispasmodic, antiseptic, antibiotic, antidepressant, antineuralgic, antiphlogistic, carminative, cholagogue, cicatrisant, emenagogue, analgesic, febrifuge, hepatic, sedative, nervine, digestive, tonic, antispasmodic, bactericidal, sudorific, stomachic, anti inflammatory, anti infectious, vermifuge, and vulnerary substance.
- General Uses: migraines, headaches, nervousness, anxiety, allergies, colic, insomnia, addiction, muscle pain, diaper rash, burns, sunburn, dental abscess, tonsillitis, skin irritations, bacterial and fungal infections, muscle spasms, cramps, arthritis, stomach aches, sore throat, cough, colds, depression, irritability, anger, gas, earache, nausea, neuralgia, cystitis, PMS, dermatitis, eczema, hair, insect bites, sores, boils, sprains and strains, stress, fever, edema, sinusitis, toothache, ADD/ADHD, acne, detox, immune support.
- Cautions: Although not known for any side effects, please consult with your doctor or healthcare provider prior to using pure Roman Chamomile essential oil if you have a direct allergy to the Ragweed family. Roman Chamomile can be used safely on everyone in the family in topical application when combined with a carrier oil.
Uses for Roman Chamomile
- Fussy baby? Try massaging a drop of RC diluted safely in carrier oil onto bottoms of feet or gently onto the stomach.
- Feeling down? Add 4 drops of RC to 2 Drops Wild Orange and 2 Drops Clary Sage for an uplifting aroma.
- Anxious? RC rubbed over the heart and inhaled from the palms can be very calming.
- PMS and abdominal cramps? Massage 2 drops RC, 2 Drops Frankincense and 2 drops Cypress to help soothe the pain.
- Trouble sleeping? Apply RC topically to temples, base of neck, wrists and big toe or add a couple drops to your diffuser along with Lavender and Cedarwood.
- Teething toddler? Add 1 drop RC, 1 drop White Fir, 1 Drop Lavender, 1 drop Frankincense to a 5ml roller bottle and top with carrier oil, apply to outer cheeks, along jaw line and gently massage in for soothing relief.
- Skin irritations, acne, or eczema? Try diluting Roman Chamomile into carrier oil and applying topically to irritated area twice daily.
If this seems like a long list of helpful qualities for Roman Chamomile and almost “too good to be true”, it isn’t. This is just a list to get you going and offer a little inspiration to incorporate this amazingly versatile essential oil into your wellness plan, too!
- A note from Kelsey: Our family chooses to use Plant Therapy for their high quality, pure, therapeutic grade essential oils offered at affordable prices. For $10 off your first order, click through our Plant Therapy link in the sidebar and use promo code: signup10. This is an affiliate link, which means you get to enjoy the same great low prices for quality oils, and we’ll get a little kick-back to help keep food in the fridge…thanks! As always, Plant Therapy offers free-shipping and returns on all orders (no minimum purchase required).