World’s best camping breakfast! Hands down our favorite go-to meal when “in the bush”. Crispy bacon, toasted bread cubes and butter eggs all cooked up in a cast iron pan over an open flame.
- 6-12 slices, uncured bacon (nitrate/nitrite free)
- 4-6 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 dozen farm-fresh eggs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Green onion, to garnish
- Slice and cube sourdough bread and leave out for a day or so to become stale. You don’t want your bread as tough as a crouton, but hard on all edges is ideal. Once stale, store in a NON airtight bag until ready to cook (sealing them in an airtight bag will soften up the stale bread).
- Dice bacon into small pieces and store in a ziptop bag in the cooler until ready to cook.
- Crack eggs and whisk well, then store in a glass jar in cooler until ready to cook.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat a cast iron pan or skillet over the fire until hot. Add bacon and cook through. Remove bacon and set aside, keep bacon grease in the pan for step 5.
- Add stale bread cubes to pan and toast in the bacon grease. Be sure to stir to cook cubes on all sides.
- Once bread is toasted on all sides, add bacon back to the pan and pour over your whisked eggs.
- Stir continually until eggs are cooked through, season with salt and pepper and garnish with green onion.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The beauty of this camping meal is that much of the work can be done ahead of time! Steps 1-3 can all be done beforehand, making cooking while in the bush much quicker and easier.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 761mg
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: N/A
- Trans Fat: N/A
- Carbohydrates: 25.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 66mg