Milk Kefir Cheese
Cheese made from milk kefir is a soft, spreadable and creamy cheese, perfect for a dip, snack or spread.
We’ll keep this one short and sweet for ya’ll. If you followed my tutorial for making milk kefir, you’ll certainly want to give kefir cheese a try.
Kefir cheese is simply milk kefir that has been strained, allowing the excess whey to drain out, leaving a nice, thick, spreadable cheese similar to Chevre or Cream Cheese, but with a tangier flavor.
You can season with salt and herbs for a healthy probiotic dip, or add a pinch of salt and spread it on hot sourdough bread, then drizzle with honey for a perfect snack!
This is, hands down, the easiest cheese recipe you’ll ever make!
Milk Kefir Cheese
Cheese made from milk kefir is a soft, spreadable and creamy cheese, perfect for a dip, snack or spread.Print Pin Comment
- 3-4 cups milk kefir
- Diced chives or green onions & salt
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Cinnamon & Sugar
- Gather a nut-milk bag (a pillowcase or a coffee filter and fine mesh strainer works, too) and a large bowl.
- Carefully pour your milk kefir into your strainer and cover with a plate or light towel (if using a pillowcase or nut-milk bag, you can also hang it to allow the whey to drip out).
- Allow your kefir to strain for 5-12 hours, until desired consistency is reached.
- The longer it strains, the thicker your final product will be (and the stronger the flavor will be as it continues to ferment). Alternatively, you can strain this in your refrigerator to halt the fermenting process (recommended).
- Once your preferred consistency is reached, season the cheese however you would like. It’s delicious mixed with this ranch seasoning, or mixed with a little stevia (or sugar) and cinnamon to top your toast.
- The longer your milk kefir strains, the thicker your final product will be (and the stronger the flavor will be as it continues to ferment).
- For a more mild cheese, strain in the refrigerator.
More Fermented Recipes You Might Like
Showing 2 comments
This sounds amazeballs. Totally trying it.
It’s so good! Let us know how you flavor it!